Christmas in Korea & 5 Christmas Songs


It's three days to Christmas, and I thought I'd talk a little about what I know on Christmas in Korea. Note that I've only spent Christmas in Korea ONCE, when I was still a kid. So what I'm going to talk about is what I heard from my Korean teachers and friends.

Some of you may have heard that Christmas in Korea is quite different from Christmas anywhere else. It is one of the national holidays, but they do not celebrate it like the Westerners. In Korea, Christmas is like a holiday for couples. Instead of having family dinners, couples go on dates on Christmas. Ice-skating, skiing, hanging out in cafes, etc. So it is actually a really sad (if not the s a d d e s t) day for the single souls there. Even Korea's Tourism Organisation named it as a "couples' holiday"! I haven't had a chance to be in Korea for Christmas, but I would love to see for myself how they celebrate it! If anyone has experienced Christmas in Korea, please share with us? ^^


On another note, lots of Korean artistes have been releasing some christmasy songs in the past week. Here are five songs I came across and really like!

Mistletoe (미슬토 우) by Geeks (긱스) / Esna (에스나) / Phantom (팬텀)
Listen to it here.

This is probably my favourite out of the five! Geeks' Louie, Phantom's Hanhae and Esna came together came together and presented this gem. I was expecting something ordinary but this blew my mind! A refreshing concept for a Christmas song.

Christmas Present (크리스마스 선물) by Kim Jee Eun (김지은)
Listen to it here.

A simple, upbeat melody paired with Kim Jee Eun's sweet voice. The song really brings out the festive mood! 
The Christmas Song by Melo-D (멜로디)
Listen to it here.

Melo-D, a project group, consists of Taeyeon from She'z, and Lee Hyun Wook. A classic Christmas song, perfect rendition by the two. 

All I Want For Christmas Is You by Bom(박봄) & HI(이하이)
Listen to it here

YG Entertainment's latest unit - Park Bom from 2NE1 and solo artiste Lee Hi. I have always been a fan of the two of them since their debut, and was thrilled to see the announcement of this unit. But as much as I adore Bom, I can't deny that her voice wasn't that suitable for this song. On the other hand, I love Hayi's voice in it.

Lonely Christmas (꾸리스마스) by Crayon Pop (크래용팝)
Listen to it here.

Crayon Pop did it once again! Following Bar Bar Bar (which I am very addicted to even after so long), the girls released Lonely Christmas on the first day of December. I wouldn't say it is a Christmas song; more like a Christmas-themed song. This is for all the lonely singles out there! ;) 

Have a merry Christmas, everyone! 
메리 스~~

p/s: I know we haven't been updating often but we do have lots of drafts waiting to be published. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment